Voluntary Action Reigate & Banstead (VARB) work with Voluntary Action Mid Surrey (VAMS) and between us we can process DBS checks. At present this is a FREE service for volunteers. If you require more information about DBS checks, this document is a useful reference point – ncvo-volunteer-information-dbs-checks
Please find below details of how to get your DBS checked, the type of checks, as well as the costs that will apply to paid roles within an organisation.
How to get your DBS checked.
- Before you contact VARB to arrange a DBS check please ensure that the role is eligible for a DBS check, by using the eligibility toolkit.
- Organisations must call VARB on 01737 763 156 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and provide the name of volunteer(s) that need to book an appointment, details of their role and what type of DBS they require.
- If there is a large number of volunteers that require DBS checks we can arrange for the forms to be sent to your organisation and completed prior to the appointment.
DBS checking is by appointment only.
Individuals cannot request a DBS check, the checks must be requested by an organisation.
Organisations must register with VARB in order to have a DBS check.
Please email email@example.com for more information, to register your organisation or to book an appointment for DBS checks.
DBS checks are Free of Charge for volunteers. The following charges apply to paid roles within an organisation:-
Standard DBS checks – £36
Checks on Police National Computer
Checking for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings.
This check is mainly for people involved in the legal profession e.g. barrister, solicitors, legal executives etc…*
*please note that this is small and general example of eligibility, for more information please read the full dbs_guide_to_eligibility_v5
Enhanced DBS Check without Barring List Check – £54
The enhanced check is available for specific duties, positions and licences included in both the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions Order 1975) and the Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) regulations, for example, regularly caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of children, specified activities with adults in receipt of health care or social care services and applicants for gaming and lottery licences. An enhanced level certificate contains the same PNC information as the standard level certificate but also includes a check of information held locally by police forces.
Enhanced DBS Check with Barring List Check – £54
The Enhanced Check with Barring list check (s) are only available for those individuals who carry out regulated activity. An Enhanced level Certificate with barred list checks contained the same PNC and local police as a standard level check but it will also include checks against the children’s and/or adult barring list.
The online DBS update service can be used to check or keep a certificate up to date. Once you have registered, you can use the update service to:
- add or remove a certificate
- give employers permission to check if anything’s changed on your certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on your certificate
- view your details
Organisations can carry out a quick online Status check to see if an individual’s Certificate is still up to date – saving you both time and money. Click here.